Head of Engineering
Location: Farringdon, London
Contract: Permanent, Full time
Closing Date: 29th September 2019
Salary: £54,000 - £65,800
Do you want to be part of an organisation that fights for children every single day? Join Save the Children as Head of Engineering and lead a team to ensure effective development, enhancement and use of business intelligence, CRM and digital platforms.
In our Support Services department, we fight for children every single day. We provide leadership and direction in the business of running an efficient organisation. We ensure our resources are used to maximum effect. We go the extra mile - and we don't rest until the work is done.
As Head of Engineering you will be a key enabler of better programming for children, better engagement with supporters, and more effective internal management. You will lead a team of cross-functional development and test staff, contractors and vendors. You will provide technical expertise guidance and direction, as well as setting an overall strategy and work-plan for the team. In addition you will:
- Lead and manage the execution and evolution of platforms, as well as software and application development and architecture and design standards
- Keep abreast of new technologies and champion the use of data analytics and digital technologies in Save the Children's work
- Ensure the implementation of agile processes wherever appropriate
- Lead engineering techniques including DevOps/release management
- Set coding standards and own QA and testing methods
- Work closely with the Head of Digital in our Fundraising and Marketing Department to ensure effective development and use of the suite of Adobe systems.
To be successful you will be a confident, analytical thinker with a proven track record in a similar role leading talented cross-functional engineering teams. You will have a strong understanding of testing methods relating to delivery of platforms and associated applications and software. You will have Experience of agile delivery process including DevOps as a key enabler, as well as experience of DataOps. You will have demonstrable understanding of how quality data and information can be used to make day to day business decisions. In addition you will have:
- Solid and demonstrable experience in most of: data, BI, .NET, digital platforms (CMS, AEM, CEM, email campaign, personalization)
- Experience of data virtualisation platforms e.g. Tibco, Denodo etc.
- Experience of automation and/or CI/CD
- Experience of data mining, machine learning, visualisation
- Enterprise architecture experience
- Preferably a degree in a related discipline e.g. Computer Science, Engineering.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 29th September
Jobs are positioned within the salary structure on the basis of evaluation. New employees would normally be appointed at the bottom of the grade, however the appointed salary may also take into account the relevant experience a candidate brings to a role. Save the Children is committed to paying staff in a fair and equitable way and will benchmark all salary offers in line with the pay of existing staff.